My switch to binders has been going pretty well thus far. I’ve been following DearMyrtle’s Organization Checklists (I’m moving a bit slower than the checklists say, but still) and I’ve made some pretty heavy progress.
First thing I did was buy a ton of acid free page protectors. Then I put all of my notes and papers into the page protectors. That way, it just needed sorting and to be put into the appropriate binder.
Anything that was from my non-sourced days was placed into a regular, cheap page protector and a stickynote with the word “Guide Only” placed on it.
I also bought oversized divider tabs so that every surname can have its own divider. Right now, I use two dividers per surname: one for all of my direct line ancestors with that surname and one for all of my indirect ancestors.
I am about half way done with having everything in their binders, but I ran out of binders and page protectors (Wow – way quicker than I expected). I’ll have to wait until Thursday to get some more supplies and continue on.
I have been going through each page to make sure that everything is in my Legacy program and completely sourced. It feels good to know that I am getting up to date on everything.
By the way, you can buy all of the supplies you need in my genealogy store for organization, research, and things that will make life easier when doing genealogy.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!