Hey Everyone – I’m back!
Sorry for the delay in posts, but I have been having some technical difficulties. My old laptop, Ole Clunky, finally died about two weeks ago. She was old and I knew it was coming. I am only grateful that it came right before I got my grant check and that I backed up all of my genealogy.
So I’d like to introduce you to my brand new laptop. It is a Toshiba and I love it. It isn’t top of the line, but it is a technological upgrade for me nonetheless. It has Windows 7 on it, and I am still getting used to it. But I love it.
But with this new laptop comes a few recommendations and some lessons learned:
- This laptop was my first big purchase. Even though the laptop I bought was cheap compared to many of the laptops on the market, it still hurt my bank account. After I swiped my card to pay the $500 bill, I got a rush. I know that sounds silly, but this is a BIG purchase for me. However, it was worth it.
- While my GEDCOM files, documents, and picture files were all backed up and safe, my podcasts were not. This isn’t such a big deal, since I can just redownload the podcasts. But this is a huge pain to do and takes time.
- I need to be more organized when it comes to saving my registration keys for programs. While it isn’t a big deal because I was able to email the companies for them, it is still a pain. I would’ve had my RootsMagic 4 already downloaded, but I had to wait for the company to reply to my email (In all fairness and honesty was pretty darn fast considering I emailed them on the weekend – but when it comes to genealogy, I am impatient).
- Setting up a computer just the way you like it takes time – especially when you are dealing with a new operating system. But during that time, you get to play around with new programs and sometimes find even more things that you like.
- I can now play Second Life! I still don’t really “get” it, but I am hoping that will come with time. I am really looking forward to the chats.
I just want to also let everyone know that the blog might be quiet for the next couple of weeks. Between school, my family get-togethers, my boyfriend’s family get-togethers, and all of the regular life stuff, I am swamped. But just know that I am planning on some awesome stuff for the month of January (and the second half of December if I can fit it in). So stay tuned!